Apricot, Date and Guinness Slices with Guinness Cream Sauce
This is the season when we all love to bake, and the delightful Catherine Fulvio’s take on the traditional sticky toffee pudding recipe should be very popular, adding ‘a truly Irish dimension with the addition of the Guinness’. Catherine says that “We make this in our cookery school to great applause, though we find that the measurements of Guinness can be a bit heavy handed!”
It’s from her lovely new book, Catherine’s Family Kitchen (Gill & Macmillan, hardback, €22.99), based on the RTE series which, although filmed at home in Wicklow, seems to have been blessed with some Italian sunshine.
Makes 9 squares
For the slices:
150g stoned dates
120g dried apricots, chopped
1 tsp bread soda (bicarbonate of soda)
175g Demerara sugar
85g butter, softened
3 medium eggs, beaten
180g self-raising flour
100g chopped walnuts
For the sauce:
75ml double cream
2 tbsp runny honey
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan 180°C/gas 6. Line a 21cm square brownie tin with parchment paper.
2. Put the dates, apricots. Guinness, water, whiskey and bread soda in a saucepan. Place over a gentle heat until the dates soften and break down, stirring occasionally. This should take about 4-5 minutes. Leave to cool.
3. Using an electric mixer, cream the sugar and butter until light and fluffy. Gradually beat in the eggs.
4. Fold the flour, walnuts and the cooled date mixture into the egg mix and transfer to the prepared tin. Bake for 35-40 minutes, until firm to the touch. Leave to cool in the tin for 5 minutes before turning out on a cooling rack. Cut into 9 squares.
5. To make the sauce, place the butter, Guinness, cream and honey in a saucepan and simmer over a low heat until the honey has dissolved and the sauce has thickened. Serve warm, drizzled over the slices.
Apps and Books
NEW EDITION Georgina Campbell's Ireland Guide (12th Edition)The latest 12th edition of the must have glove box bible to Irish hospitality is now available h ...more...
Georgina Campbell's Ireland for Romantic Weddings & HoneymoonsIreland Wedding & Honeymoon Guide - This is a highly selective guidebook to the very best o ...more...
Irish Country House Cooking - The Blue Book Recipe Collection (Hardback)From the homely to the very grand, these delicious dishes celebrate the diversity of Irish count ...more...