Just 50 yards up from the harbour, part of this famous pub dates back to the 15th century, when it was built as a seminary for the local monks.
Currently owned by James and Eithne Scott-Lennon, this well-run and immaculately maintained pub retains authentic features including open turf fires, original stone walls, flagged floors and gas lights - although more recent features include large screens tuned to sporting channels, which seem to have invaded most areas.
In 1960 the Abbey started to lay on entertainment and this has brought the tavern its fame: the format is a traditional 5-course dinner followed by traditional Irish music. It's on every night but booking is essential, especially in high season.
Food is offered in the bar ('Abbey Tavern Gastro' menu), and evening meals ('Abbey Tavern Bistro') are served upstairs in an atmospheric dining room that is one of Dublin's longest-established restaurants. Dating right back to 1956 and with open fires and natural stone walls, it has character and a welcoming ambience.
The cooking style and standard varies considerably from year to year; current menus have a strong emphasis on value although, even in the bar, the word 'gastro' should not be interpreted to mean that this is a place serving cutting edge bar/bistro food: expect old favourites, cooked in a homely style and served by pleasant local staff.