Approached from the harbour side through a lovely front garden, this delightful stone restaurant dates back to 1790, when it was built as a residence for 'coast security officers'. Nearly two centuries later it was bought in a derelict condition by the O’Donoghue family, who then reconstructed the building and opened it as a tea room and gardens in 1981.
Having been run successfully by Katherine O'Donoghue for many years, it is now in the capable hands of her daughter Jane who continues to do the things just the way they’ve always been done - it’s full of character and makes the perfect spot for a light bite to eat.
In fine weather the beautiful back garden or the conservatory can be idyllic; otherwise the homely dining room offers comfort and shelter, with its informal arrangement of old furniture and a tempting display of home-baked fare. This is the speciality of the house - all laid out on an old cast-iron range and reasonably priced for the quality - beginning at about €1.50 for homemade cookies, and very little more for a freshly baked scone, butter & home-made jam.
Coffees and speciality teas are available as well as savoury choices including farmhouse cheeses, home-baked ham and Tea Room Specials such as Open Smoked Salmon Sandwich with two salads on brown bread. Delicious 2-3 course lunch specials are available at around €10 and, as well as home-made jam and marmalade to take home, they do picnics and takeaways.
Just the ticket, rain or shine.