Restored barracks with informative exhibition on the history of the castle.
Dungarvan Castle (also known as King John's Castle) was built by the Normans in the 12th century and strengthened by King John of Robin Hood fame in the early 1200's. The Castle consists of a polygonal shell keep with an enclosing curtain wall, a corner tower and a gate tower and controlled the important ferry crossing over the Colligan River and strengthened Normal control of the turbulent countryside.
Inside the curtain wall is a two storey military barracks, which dates from the first half of the 18th century. The barracks is now restored and houses an informative exhibition on the history of the castle.
Open daily 24th May - 26th September 10am-6pm. Last admission 45 minutes before closing.