Ballinasloe, Co. Galway
Ruined Churches and Abbeys testify to the piety of its people and their steadfastness during Penal Times. Old Forts and castles tell of ancient enmities and of the long struggle between Norman and Irish. The tragic battlefield of Aughrim reminds us of the time when Irish and Anglo-Irish united to fight for the cause of the Catholic Stuarts against William of Orange, and died in their thousands.
The Ballinasloe Fair is one of the oldest horse fairs in Europe, bathed in history it dates back to the 700s. Today the ever popular fair is still held, along with a festival that attracts up to 100,000 visitors from all over the world. The town also boasts a successful summer festival called An tSúca Fiain.
Course Type: Parkland
- By Distance
- By Category
- The Stone Cottage
- Ballinasloe - County Galway - Fridays
- Mountbellew Local Food - Co Galway - Wednesday
- Loughrea - Co Galway - Thursday
- Athenry - Co Galway - Fridays
- Oranmore - Co Galway
- Kinvara - Co Galway - Friday
- Galway - Galway City
- Headford - Co Galway
- Moycullen - Co Galway - Fridays
- The Village - Oughterard, Co Galway
- Roundstone Country - Co Galway - Sundays
- Birr Castle Demesne
Apps and Books
Georgina Campbell's Ireland for Romantic Weddings & HoneymoonsIreland Wedding & Honeymoon Guide - This is a highly selective guidebook to the very best o ...more...