Carrickmacross, Co. Monaghan
Carrickmacross (Irish: Carraig Mhacaire Rois) is an attractive town in County Monaghan, whose translated name means "The Rock of the Wooded Plain". It is a market town which developed around a Castle built by the Earl of Essex in 1630. The Convent of the St. Louis Nuns now stands on the original castle site.
One of the most imposing buildings in the town is the Roman Catholic Church which was completed in 1866. Of particular significance in the church are the ten beautiful stained-glass windows which were designed by the renowned artist Harry Clarke in 1925. Carrickmacross was the birthplace of poet Patrick Kavanagh.
There is coarse fishing in the lakes near by. The exquisite Carrickmacross lace, which gained the town a great reputation, is still for sale at a local convent.