Cong, Co. Mayo
Cong (Irish: Conga or Cúnga Fheichín is a village in County Mayo, next to the Galway border. It is located on the north shore of Lough Corrib, near the town of Ballinrobe and the villages of Neale and Cross.
One of the biggest current attractions to Cong is Ashford Castle which is a former residence of the Guinness family turned hotel. It is a tourist attraction in its own right now.
Cong is best known for being the filming location for John Ford's 1952 Oscar-winning film, The Quiet Man, featuring John Wayne, Maureen O'Hara and Barry Fitzgerald. Much of the movie was filmed on the grounds of Ashford Castle. The town and castle area remain little changed since 1952, and Cong's connection with the movie make it a major tourist attraction in that part of Mayo.
Cong is an excellent centre for fishing on lakes, and tennis, equestrian and boating are also available.
Cong, Co. Mayo
Course Type: Parkland
- By Distance
- By Category
- Claremorris Country - Co Mayo - Fridays
- Westport Food & Craft - Co Mayo - Saturdays
- Westport Country - Co Mayo - Thursdays
- Castlebar - Co Mayo
- Louisburgh - Co Mayo - Fridays
- Foxford Woollen Mills - Co Mayo - Saturdays
- Ballina - Co Mayo - Saturdays
- Killala - Co Mayo - Sundays
- Belmullet - Erris - Margadh Feirmeoirí Iorrais - Co Mayo
Patrick Pearses Cottage
Westport House, Gardens & Pirate Adventure Park
Apps and Books
Meals for All Seasons - The Best of Contemporary Irish Cooking (out of print, Hardback)This vintage cookbook is out of print and only available here. Georgina Campbell's outstanding a ...more...