- Special Offers
Duleek (Irish: Damhliag ) is a village in County Meath that is situated in the quiet valley of the Nanny River.. Duleek takes is name from the Irish word daimh liag, meaning house of stones and referring to an early stone-built church, St Cianan’s Church, the ruins of which are still visible in Duleek today. St. Patrick also founded a church here in the 5th century but nothing now remains.
In later centuries the town was frequently raided by the Norsemen who were based at Drogheda, but somehow the small community managed to survive. A 9th century high cross has scenes of the crucifixion and Holy Family,
One of the O' Kelly family founded an abbey here around the 12th century dedicated to the Blessed Virgin Mary. In 1182 Hugh de Lacy, to whom the district fell, founded St. Mary's Augustinian Priory. Today many interesting ruins remain in the area.
The Duleek Heritage Trail has been conceived as a series of stepping stones through the village and its long and varied history.