Foxford, Co. Mayo
The Foxford Way is an 86-km waymarked tourist trail which circles Foxford, taking in the Ox Mountains, roads, boglands, archeological sites, lakeshores, and river banks.
Foxford grew up around the eponymous Woollen Mills which have been producing the famous Foxford blankets since 1892 - Foxford Woollen Mill Visitor's Centre now provides visitors the opportunity to see how the industry arose in this area.
William Brown (1755-1857), the founder of the Argentine Navy, was born in Foxford, where he is remembered by a bronze bust by the Argentinian sculptor Vergottini. The poet Frederick R. Higgins (1890-1941) was born in Foxford. There is now a cultural festival in his honour each May, coinciding with the popular annual goat fair.
Carraig Abhainn Farm, near Foxford, is an open farm with a selection of traditional farm animals and other attractions.
Course Type: Links
- By Distance
- By Category
- Foxford Woollen Mills - Co Mayo - Saturdays
- Castlebar - Co Mayo
- Ballina - Co Mayo - Saturdays
- Killala - Co Mayo - Sundays
- Westport Food & Craft - Co Mayo - Saturdays
- Westport Country - Co Mayo - Thursdays
- Claremorris Country - Co Mayo - Fridays
- Louisburgh - Co Mayo - Fridays
- Belmullet - Erris - Margadh Feirmeoirí Iorrais - Co Mayo
National Museum of Ireland - Country Life
Westport House, Gardens & Pirate Adventure Park
- Enniscoe House & Gardens
Apps and Books
Download our locations to your Garmin Sat Nav free of chargeWe have teamed up with www.myPOIs.ie to produce a free download of the locations of all the Geor ...more...