Letterfrack, Co. Galway
Letterfrack (Leitir Fraic in Irish) is a quiet village in Connemara in Ireland founded by the Quakers in the mid-19th century. It is situated 15 km (9.5 miles) north-east of Clifden on Barnaderg Bay and lies at the head of Ballinakill harbour. The visitors centre for Connemara National Park is here - this area is now part of the Park covering almost 4,000 acres.
Letterfrack is in beautiful surroundings with fuchsia hedges demonstrating its mild climates; there is good bathing, mountain climbing and hill walking, and the village is an angling centre for the streams and loughs of the neighbourhood.
Short-distance gravelled walks have been laid leading from Letterfrack to Diamond Hill (1,460 feet) giving superb views of sea, mountain and lake en route.
Letterfrack was the location of Marconi's transatlantic wireless receiving station associated with his high power transmitter in Clifden. Its service was transferred to a more modern receiving station in Tywyn, Wales after Marconi's Clifden wireless station was destroyed in 1922 during the Irish Civil War.