Roscrea, Co. Tipperary
Roscrea town itself has many architectural features of note. Church Street, the site of St Cronan's sixth century monastery, is dominated by the twelfth century ruins of a Hiberno-romanesque gable, round tower and high cross, reminders of the once famous diocese of Ros Cre. This monastic story is highlighted at nearby Sean Ross, the bog-island of Monaincha and the Franciscan Friary at Abbey Street, and continues as a living tradition at the Cistercian Abbey of Mount Street Joseph, west of the town.
In the thirteenth century, a royal state-of-the-art castle was erected to fortify this corner of Ely O'Carroll and its strategic situation on the Slighe dhala, one of the five great roads of ancient Ireland. Its gate-tower, curtain walls and corner turrets are currently undergoing restoraton by the State, as are its courtyard and gardens. Within this courtyard, Damer House was erected in the early eighteenth century. Its Queen Anne pine staircase is of particular interest.
A Heritage Trail, with accompanying booklet in three languages, is freely available to help you explore this historic town.
Course Type: Parkland
- By Distance
- By Category
- Roundwood House - The Coach House, The Forge & The Cottage
- Clomantagh Castle
- Templemore Famers - Co Tipperary - Wednesdays
- Nenagh - Co Tipperary - Saturdays
- Thurles - County Tipperary - Saturdays
- Tipperary Town - Co Tipperary - Saturdays
- Cahir - County Tipperary - Saturdays
- Clonmel - County Tipperary - Saturdays
- Clonmel Premier Organic - Co Tipperary - Fridays
- Carrick on Suir - County Tipperary - Fridays
Roscrea Castle & Heritage Centre
Apps and Books
Download our locations to your Garmin Sat Nav free of chargeWe have teamed up with www.myPOIs.ie to produce a free download of the locations of all the Geor ...more...