Tuam, Co. Galway
The O'Connor Kings, Turlough and Ruari, lived here In the 11th century. Turlough built a castle and an abbey which later became a cathedral. All that remains is part of the wall of their castle, a stone throne known as the chair of Tuam, and the O'Connor name.
The people of Tuam claim it is the smallest city in the world based on the presence of a cathedral, one of the original definitions of what constitutes a city. However, despite Tuam's two cathedrals, it is officially a town. Moreover, the city of St. David's in Wales has a smaller population and is officially a city.
Course Type: Parkland
- By Distance
- By Category
- Headford - Co Galway
- Mountbellew Local Food - Co Galway - Wednesday
- The Village - Oughterard, Co Galway
- Moycullen - Co Galway - Fridays
- Athenry - Co Galway - Fridays
- Oranmore - Co Galway
- Galway - Galway City
- Loughrea - Co Galway - Thursday
- Kinvara - Co Galway - Friday
- Ballinasloe - County Galway - Fridays
- Roundstone Country - Co Galway - Sundays
Apps and Books
Irish Country House Cooking - The Blue Book Recipe Collection (Hardback)From the homely to the very grand, these delicious dishes celebrate the diversity of Irish count ...more...
iPhone App (v 2.0 Free with optional premium elements)Quickly and easily find all the very best places to eat, drink & stay across the island of I ...more...