Tuam, Co. Galway
The O'Connor Kings, Turlough and Ruari, lived here In the 11th century. Turlough built a castle and an abbey which later became a cathedral. All that remains is part of the wall of their castle, a stone throne known as the chair of Tuam, and the O'Connor name.
The people of Tuam claim it is the smallest city in the world based on the presence of a cathedral, one of the original definitions of what constitutes a city. However, despite Tuam's two cathedrals, it is officially a town. Moreover, the city of St. David's in Wales has a smaller population and is officially a city.
Course Type: Parkland
- By Distance
- By Category
- Headford - Co Galway
- Mountbellew Local Food - Co Galway - Wednesday
- The Village - Oughterard, Co Galway
- Moycullen - Co Galway - Fridays
- Athenry - Co Galway - Fridays
- Oranmore - Co Galway
- Galway - Galway City
- Loughrea - Co Galway - Thursday
- Kinvara - Co Galway - Friday
- Ballinasloe - County Galway - Fridays
- Roundstone Country - Co Galway - Sundays
Apps and Books
Download our locations to your Garmin Sat Nav free of chargeWe have teamed up with www.myPOIs.ie to produce a free download of the locations of all the Geor ...more...