Newport, Co. Mayo
Newport has a very striking railway bridge (no longer used for rail carriage) like an aqueduct, which, with the catholic church on top of the hill, dominate the town and create a picturesque appearance. The church is so imposing that it is usually referred to as 'Newport Cathedral'.
Newport stands at the entrance to the Bangor Trail, a 42km (26 mile) walking route. Near Newport is the Salmon Research Visitor Centre located at Furnae which tells the unique story of the Salmon - King of the Fish. Travelling from newport to Mulrany you can visit Letterkeen Forest, where a 3500 year-old Bronze Age burial site was discovered.
This area has some of the finest fishing in Ireland.
Course Type: Parkland
- By Distance
- By Category
- Rosturk Woods & Waterfall House
- Enniscoe House - Courtyard Houses
- Delphi Lodge - Boat House Cottages & Wren Cottage
- Mount Falcon Country House Hotel & Spa
- Westport Country - Co Mayo - Thursdays
- Westport Food & Craft - Co Mayo - Saturdays
- Castlebar - Co Mayo
- Louisburgh - Co Mayo - Fridays
- Foxford Woollen Mills - Co Mayo - Saturdays
- Ballina - Co Mayo - Saturdays
- Claremorris Country - Co Mayo - Fridays
- Killala - Co Mayo - Sundays
- Belmullet - Erris - Margadh Feirmeoirí Iorrais - Co Mayo
Westport House, Gardens & Pirate Adventure Park
National Museum of Ireland - Country Life
Ballycroy National Park
- Enniscoe House & Gardens
Apps and Books
Download our locations to your Garmin Sat Nav free of chargeWe have teamed up with www.myPOIs.ie to produce a free download of the locations of all the Geor ...more...