Newport, Co. Mayo
Newport has a very striking railway bridge (no longer used for rail carriage) like an aqueduct, which, with the catholic church on top of the hill, dominate the town and create a picturesque appearance. The church is so imposing that it is usually referred to as 'Newport Cathedral'.
Newport stands at the entrance to the Bangor Trail, a 42km (26 mile) walking route. Near Newport is the Salmon Research Visitor Centre located at Furnae which tells the unique story of the Salmon - King of the Fish. Travelling from newport to Mulrany you can visit Letterkeen Forest, where a 3500 year-old Bronze Age burial site was discovered.
This area has some of the finest fishing in Ireland.
Course Type: Parkland
- By Distance
- By Category
- Rosturk Woods & Waterfall House
- Enniscoe House - Courtyard Houses
- Delphi Lodge - Boat House Cottages & Wren Cottage
- Mount Falcon Country House Hotel & Spa
- Westport Country - Co Mayo - Thursdays
- Westport Food & Craft - Co Mayo - Saturdays
- Castlebar - Co Mayo
- Louisburgh - Co Mayo - Fridays
- Foxford Woollen Mills - Co Mayo - Saturdays
- Ballina - Co Mayo - Saturdays
- Claremorris Country - Co Mayo - Fridays
- Killala - Co Mayo - Sundays
- Belmullet - Erris - Margadh Feirmeoirí Iorrais - Co Mayo
Westport House, Gardens & Pirate Adventure Park
National Museum of Ireland - Country Life
Ballycroy National Park
- Enniscoe House & Gardens
Apps and Books
Irish Country House Cooking - The Blue Book Recipe Collection (Hardback)From the homely to the very grand, these delicious dishes celebrate the diversity of Irish count ...more...
iPhone App (v 2.0 Free with optional premium elements)Quickly and easily find all the very best places to eat, drink & stay across the island of I ...more...