Nenagh, Co. Tipperary
Nenagh (An tAonach in Irish) is the largest town in north County Tipperary. It lies on the Nenagh River, which empties into Lough Derg at Dromineer, 9 km to the north-west, a popular centre for sailing and other water sports.
The Silvermines mountains lie to the south of the town, with the highest peak being Keeper Hill (Sliabh Ciamalta in Irish) at 694m. The Silvermines Mountains have witnessed mining for silver and base metals on and off over seven hundred years. Traces of 19th century mine workings remain.
Nenagh was originally a market town, and its name in Irish, An tAonach means Ormonde (East Munster) Fair. Nenagh is today a busy commercial town.
Chief amongst the town's attractions is Nenagh Castle, constructed by the Fitzwalter (also known as Butler) family in the 13th Century, and one of the finest of its kind in Ireland.
Also worth a visit is the ruined Franciscan abbey, which was built in 1212 in the reign of Henry III and was one of the richest religious houses in Ireland. It was in use for six hundred years, Fr. Patrick Harty, who died in 1817, being its last inhabitant.