Thurles, Co. Tipperary
The many castles and monastic settlements, which surround Thurles, bear lasting evidence to the area's rich and colourful history. The town itself owes its development to the Norman Butlers and particularly to James, who was created Earl of Ormond by Edward III in 1328. Two of the original family fortresses still remain in Thurles today.
Thurles is the birthplace of the Gaelic Athletic Association, founded in 1884 in Hayes' Hotel. Semple Stadium is Ireland's second largest sports arena with a capacity of 55,000, second only to Croke Park. In addition, Lar na Pairce, a museum devoted to the Gaelic Athletic Association, is located in the town.
Course Type: Parkland
- By Distance
- By Category
- Thurles - County Tipperary - Saturdays
- Templemore Famers - Co Tipperary - Wednesdays
- Nenagh - Co Tipperary - Saturdays
- Tipperary Town - Co Tipperary - Saturdays
- Cahir - County Tipperary - Saturdays
- Clonmel - County Tipperary - Saturdays
- Clonmel Premier Organic - Co Tipperary - Fridays
- Carrick on Suir - County Tipperary - Fridays
- Nenagh Golf Club
Apps and Books
Irish Country House Cooking - The Blue Book Recipe Collection (Hardback)From the homely to the very grand, these delicious dishes celebrate the diversity of Irish count ...more...
iPhone App (v 2.0 Free with optional premium elements)Quickly and easily find all the very best places to eat, drink & stay across the island of I ...more...