Cashel, Co. Tipperary
Cashel is particularly renowned for the Rock of Cashel, a site hosting a ruined church and fortifications, formerly the seat of the Irish kings of Munster.
King Cormac built his superb Royal Chapel in the 12th century and it is now one of the remarkable buildings to be seen on the Rock. Nearby were Cistercian, Dominican and Franciscan abbeys, two of which may still be viewed.
A visit to Cashel must include the town to experience and understand the historical reationship between the Rock and the town. Cashel City Hall will be your first port of call wherein you can turn the key to the rich heritage in Cashel such as the archaeology, fine architecture, fascinating history and folklore of this remarkable town. The Heritage Centre, located on Main Street, Cashel, will provide the visitor with a series of changing exhibitions, and a model of Cashel in 1640's. A unique collection from the house of the MacCarthy Mor is a rare gem in this centre.
- By Distance
- By Category
- Kilmaneen Farmhouse & Cottage
- Cahir - County Tipperary - Saturdays
- Thurles - County Tipperary - Saturdays
- Tipperary Town - Co Tipperary - Saturdays
- Clonmel - County Tipperary - Saturdays
- Clonmel Premier Organic - Co Tipperary - Fridays
- Templemore Famers - Co Tipperary - Wednesdays
- Carrick on Suir - County Tipperary - Fridays
- Nenagh - Co Tipperary - Saturdays
Rock of Cashel
The Main Guard
- Killurney Garden
Apps and Books
Georgina Campbell's Ireland for Romantic Weddings & HoneymoonsIreland Wedding & Honeymoon Guide - This is a highly selective guidebook to the very best o ...more...