Cahir, Co. Tipperary

Cahir (Irish: Cathair Dún Iascaigh, meaning the stonefort of the fish) is a town in South Tipperary, Ireland. The town is best known for Cahir Castle, built on an island in the River Suir, near the centre of the town, and the Swiss cottage.

The main tourist attraction is the Island in River Suir, on which sits a medieval castle, Cahir Castle, once a stronghold of the Butler dynasty. As one of the best preserved castles in Ireland, this often attracts a large number of Irish and Foreign tourists to the region. Another major attraction is the Swiss Cottage along with numerous speciality heritage walks.

Cahir also has some interesting, if not beautiful landscape features. Nearby is the famous Rock of Cashel. The nearby Galtee Mountains form the largest inland range in Ireland, which though not very high (<1000m), are covered in a lush coniferous forest. The River Suir provides fishing for tourists.

Gardens

Lismore Castle Gardens - Lismore County Waterford ireland
Lismore Castle Gardens
Lismore, Co. Waterford
Chapter after chapter of history - peopled with high profile characters from King John, who had the first castle built there, to the first Protestant Archbishop (the notorious Myler McGrath) to Sir Walter Raleigh, who owned it at one point - has ...

Golf

There is no featured golf course in the area

Self Catering

Selfcatering
Kilmaneen Farmhouse & Cottage
Clonmel, Co. Tipperary
As neat as a new pin, Kevin & Ber O'Donnell's delightfully situated farmhouse and cottage is on an ex-dairy farm, surrounded by three mountain ranges - the Comeraghs, the Knockmealdowns and the Galtees - and close to the rivers Suir and Tar, ...

What's On

Cahir Farmers Market - County Tipperary - Saturdays
Cahir Farmers Market

Beside Craft Granary, on Church Street, Cahir, County Tipperary

Saturdays: 9am - 1pm

All produce sold at the market, except for on the fish sta ...

Tourist Attractions

The Main Guard - Clonmel County Tipperary Ireland
The Main Guard
Clonmel, Co. Tipperary
The Main Guard was originally built by James Butler, 1st Duke of Ormond, between 1673 and 1684, as a prestigious courthouse for the Palatinate of County Tipperary. The Main Guard was a "Tholsel" which is an office where tolls, dutie ...

Wedding Venues

12766173.jpg
Glasha
Ballymacarbry, Co. Waterford
Away from it all, up in the hills in the serenely beautiful Nire Valley, Paddy and Olive O’Gorman’s spacious farmhouse is set in its own gardens and provides a very comfortable and hospitable base for a relaxed rural wedding or honeym ...
  • By Distance
  • By Category

There are currently no comments

Leave a comment

You must be logged in to leave a comment
Not a member? Register for your free membership now!
Or leave a comment by logging in with: