Clonmel, Co. Tipperary
Clonmel lies in a valley, surrounded by mountains and hills. The Comeragh Mountains are to the south, while east of the town is Slievenamon. These provide a great place for hill walkers to escape from it all, with many walks of varying difficulties available. There are also several golf courses near by and good equestrian facilities. The River Suir flows through the town and is good for Salmon fishing.
At the opposite end of the main street, O'Connell Street from the West Gate is the Main Guard built in 1674 as a Palletinate Court House. There are many other interesting buildings including the Town Hall, Franciscan Friary, Court House as well as former churches which have been tastefully converted to other uses including the old Wesleyan which is now the White Memorial Theatre.
Clonmel is very proud also of its literary past being the birthplace of Laurence Sterne and Marguerite Power, Countess of Blessington, and the one time residence of Anthony Trollope. Each September a literary weekend is held to honour this connection. Other places of interest include the County Museum in Parnell Street and Marlfield Lake wild bird sanctuary.
Course Type: Parkland
- By Distance
- By Category
- Clonmel - County Tipperary - Saturdays
- Clonmel Premier Organic - Co Tipperary - Fridays
- Cahir - County Tipperary - Saturdays
- Carrick on Suir - County Tipperary - Fridays
- Tipperary Town - Co Tipperary - Saturdays
- Thurles - County Tipperary - Saturdays
- Templemore Famers - Co Tipperary - Wednesdays
- Nenagh - Co Tipperary - Saturdays
The Main Guard
Rock of Cashel
- West Waterford Golf Club