Cobh, Co. Cork
Cobh (Irish: An Cóbh, pronounced "cove"; derived from English the cove) is a pleasant seaport in County Cork. The locality, which had had several different Irish-language names, was first referred to as Cove ("the Cove of Cork") in 1750. It was renamed Queenstown in 1849 to commemorate a visit by Queen Victoria and so remained until the name Cobh (closer to the Irish spelling) was restored in 1922 with the foundation of the Irish Free State.
Cobh is located on the south shore of the Great Island in Cork Harbour, (reputed to be the second largest natural harbour in the world), on slopes overlooking the harbour. On its highest point stands the Cobh Cathedral, St. Colman's, seat of the diocese of Cloyne.
It was from Cobh that hundreds of thousands of mostly hungry and penniless Irish men and women left to build a new life in the US, especially in the Famine years of 1844-48. Many thrived and prospered, but many died on the journey in the terrible travelling conditions of the time.
There is also a memorial to the Lusitania in Cobh - the sinking of which in 1915 brought the US into World War 1. Cobh was also the last port of call for the ill fated Titanic.